Friday, August 18, 2006

 

Mexican night

Dinner with Susan, David, Lucy and Eli consisted of all the mexican delights one can imagine.  While David was cooking the meat (not for Susan), we had some totilla chips with threee kinds of salsa:  hot, medium, and a variation of medium and washed it sone with Negro Modelo (provided by me at least). 

I brought my helicopter to play with, Lucy brought her rocket and Eli stood at a short distance with his green ball and watched the experiments in flight. I managed to get the heli up, and Lucy took pot-shots at the heli with her rocket no mid-air collisions thank goodness.  I got so confident that I decided I could land the heli on a small coffee table.  Big mistake.  I missed the table and crashed the heli, Eli started crying, and Lucy did not have a target anymore!

By then the food was ready and what a feast!  Tortillas (corn), rice, beans, guacomole, salsas, veggies (perppers, etc), a number of other dips that were really good, and more beer. Susan has made a start on her thesis and is happy to have around 3 hours a day to work on it. She has decided to do the thesis on AIDS elEgies, which, for the uninformed, are poems about death and dying.  I will have to read the thesis to understand myself.  She is focussing on the changes and differences beween then and now both in terms of the elegies, the motivation and maybe the intended audience changes.

It may sound as if the conversation dwindled to morbidity, but that is not so.  We had a great evening with lots of livlely discussions, and even the elegies were light-hearted with all kinds of facinating anecdotes mixed in.

We also had a chance to see all the wild animals:  There was the hottentots-gog, called Beauty; the two hummingbirds (twins both called Beauty), and then we hunted down a mouse roamiong wild in the veggie garden.  Could this be the Tooth Mouse?

Later, Lucy read to me from her Spanish book and she knows tons of spanish already by the way those parents have the Spanish up to speed as well because I heard them helping out even without looking at the book.  I suspect that they have been through the book a few times because they could recite words and phrases from the page we were looking at without even seeing the page numbers we were looking at.  Una, dos, tres.  What color is your dress? Rosa Y amarillo, does not make a mess. Asd you can see my Spanish is not bien.

Susan and I took tons of photos and I will be sorting through them tomorrow and posting some here. 


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?